:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(jpeg)/jay-cutler-football-game3-101824-34cf09f0bc7a467785223101d816d88d.jpg)
NEED TO KNOW
- Former NFL star Jay Cutler has been released from jail early after beginning a four-day sentence on Monday
- Cutler, 42, was serving the short jail sentence after pleading guilty to a DUI charge on Aug. 26
- The ex-Chicago Bears quarterback was arrested for a DUI in Oct. 2024 after rear-ending another driver and trying to bribe them with $2,000 to not call the police
Former NFL star Jay Cutler was released early from a Tennessee jail on Wednesday night after beginning what was supposed to be a four-day sentence stemming from his 2024 DUI on Monday.
PEOPLE confirmed Cutler, 42, was released on Wednesday, Oct. 1, after it was determined that his sentence had been “served” after two and a half days in custody, Williamson County Jail records showed.
The short jail sentence, which began Monday morning on Sept. 29, came after the retired NFL quarterback pleaded guilty in August to charges he faced after being arrested in Oct. 2024 on suspicion of a DUI. Cutler was expected to remain behind bars until about 10 a.m. local time on Friday morning, PEOPLE previously reported. The former Chicago Bears quarterback was also required to pay a $350 fine.
In addition to the short sentence and the fine, Cutler will remain on unsupervised probation for one year and must attend a DUI safety class. His Tennessee driver’s license has also been revoked.
Franklin Police Department
Cutler’s representative and attorney did not respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment on the shortened sentence on Thursday morning. TMZ first reported the news about Cutler’s early release.
Cutler was arrested in downtown Franklin, Tenn., on Oct. 17, 2024 after he rear-ended another car, allegedly attempted to leave the scene and then tried to bribe the other driver with $2,000 in exchange for not calling the police.
However the driver, who also later sued Cutler over the incident, did call police. Officers with the Franklin Police Department responded to the scene and alleged that Cutler had “bloodshot eyes,” was “slurring” his words and smelled of alcohol. Responding officers also said they found a loaded handgun and a rifle in Cutler’s car, PEOPLE reported at the time.
Less than a week later, Cutler’s ex-wife Kristen Cavallari said on her podcast she would “not be commenting on what happened.”
“I do, of course, wish Jay nothing but the best and I do hope that he gets the help that he needs,” she said. “But that’s the only thing I will be saying about it publicly,”
Todd Williamson/Getty
Cutler was initially charged with a DUI, illegally possessing a weapon while intoxicated, implied consent and failure to exercise due care to avoid a collision.
The former NFL star pleaded guilty to the DUI charge on Aug. 26, while the gun charge was dropped as part of the plea deal, according to WGN.